Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Subterranean homesick blues

When I left work today the ground was wet and I saw people with umbrellas. If it was raining, I thought, maybe this is a good time to try to take the PATH home. I had made it part of the way home before via the underground mall system, so why not try it right from work - my office connects directly to the PATH. What a pain in the ass. People told me it was confusing, but a 15 minute walk home turned into a 45 minute expedition. Worst navigational aids ever. The signage is barely helpful - where it exists. Half of the travel time was spent walking in circles. They have helpful coloured signs to tell you direction - blue is north, for example. But try and find a blue sign! I would have been better off getting wet. And when I finally resurfaced, the streets were mostly dry. At least now I have it figured out.

No comments: